Seaforth Sands Overhead Railway Station and Tramway
This is one of a number of models created by the Seaglam Model Making Project, supported by Armada Model Designs. The complete list of Seaforth architectural models, with links to their web pages, is as follows:
Seaforth Sands station was part of the Liverpool Overhead Railway. The station was opened on 30th April 1894 and consisted of two platforms and an overall roof.
Liverpool was the first city in Britain to obtain an "Act of Parliament" for a local tramway service, and trams ran through Seaforth along Crosby Road South.
The Seaforth Sands model on this page represents just half of the old Overhead Railway station, allowing viewers to see the northern platform inside the building. To speed up the construction process, the structure was created using components from a 'Metcalfe' card model kit.
The Dick Kerr tram is a 'Corgi' model, modified to represent route 17, running adjacent to Seaforth Sands Station and travelling from Seaforth to Pier Head. The overhead railway car is a resin model purchased from the Museum of Liverpool.
Due to the cost of maintaining the infrastructure, both the overhead railway and the tram system were decommissioned in the 1950s. With today's concerns about climate change, it is interesting to note that both the tramway and the overhead railway were electric-powered. These systems would be considered more environmentally-friendly than today's buses. Carbon emissions would be reduced further if at least some of the electricity came from Seaforth's own onshore wind farm.